www.flickr.com
Tyler Lackey's blog pics photoset Click here to see Tyler's flickr photos

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Mischief by the Hour

I lost a makeup brush to the toilet this morning around 8:30 this morning.

Shortly after 9:00, Tyler threw away 5 perfectly good contacts -- a whole package of the daily wear contacts for my right eye.

Tyler gave me a break during the 10’o’clock hour. Or maybe he was plotting for the rest of the day.

Around 11:30, I was rushing around to pack a diaper bag and get ready to go to lunch with a friend, and I caught Tyler at the top of the stairs. I guess I didn’t latch the gate good behind me when I came down. (Although I wouldn’t put it past him to climb over the gate!)

My friend Ashley met us here at noon, and we went to J. Christopher’s for lunch. I’d fed Tyler a little bit before we left but I took a bunch of Cheerios for him to munch on while we ate.

At 12:20, he stood up in his high chair.

At 12:30, he practically crawled up on the table.

I put his shoes on him so that it would be harder for him to get his feet up in the high chair.

I fed him Cheerios one at the time because if I gave him Cheerios to feed himself, he would throw them in the floor. It embarrasses me to leave a handful of Cheerios in the floor when we leave a restaurant. Just ask Brian — I always ask him to tip a little extra since the waiters and staff have to clean up after Tyler.

I gave Tyler sips of milk. I pulled things on the table out of his reach. I handed him a plastic spoon to chew on. I handed him the top to a baby food container and handed it to him again when he threw it down. In short, I did everything but eat and visit with my friend.

I guess we pushed lunch too close to his naptime.

Anyway, I finally ended up holding Tyler and, when Ashley finished eating, she held him while I ate quickly.

While Ashley got her stuff together to leave, I held Tyler and let him chew on the top to his Cheerios container. I handed Tyler and the container of Cheerios to Ashley so she could entertain him while I gathered the miscellaneous spoons and plastic things Tyler had chewed on.

While I was looking for my keys in the baby bag, I heard the container of Cheerios hit the floor.

“OH, noooooooo.” I looked straight at Ashley. I didn’t want to see the floor.

Yep, for some reason, I had packed a particularly large container of Cheerios and Tyler had only eaten a quarter of them. The rest were all over the floor. I cannot stress this enough. ALL OVER THE FLOOR.

I get embarrassed when we leave 10 in the floor. This was more like 1,000. I couldn’t walk without grinding them up.

(Luckily the J. Christopher’s people were very nice, but I’m so embarrassed I can never go back there. It’s a shame because I love that place.)

Tyler fell asleep in the car on the way home and he’s upstairs napping now — or maybe he’s plotting for the 5’o’clock hour. I’m very concerned about what he has planned for the evening.

No comments: