www.flickr.com
Tyler Lackey's blog pics photoset Click here to see Tyler's flickr photos

Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Sensory Child and His Napkin Issues

My child often won't eat when his fingers are dirty. He doesn't like puddings, mashed potatoes, or anything else that might stick to his fingers. He likes the taste and texture of Cheetos but strongly protests the orange stuff that sticks to his fingers.

Early in therapy, we were encouraged to keep a napkin beside him at the table so he can wipe his hands off.

My child often throws napkins on the floor.

Early in therapy, I got tired of picking up napkins.

I started encouraging him to wipe his hands on his shirt.

Yes, you may laugh in 5 years when I scold him for using his shirt instead of a napkin.

But I think he'll outgrow the bad habit on his own: On Tuesday, he threw a salt shaker while we were at a restaurant. He got upset when he put his hand in the spilled salt and it stuck to him. I instructed, "Brush it off on your shirt." ... He promptly wiped his hand on his daddy's shirt.

No comments: