www.flickr.com
Tyler Lackey's blog pics photoset Click here to see Tyler's flickr photos

Monday, June 30, 2008

What a Day.

I had a lot of work to do today, so Tyler was kind of left to his own devices for longer than usual. He was right with me, so of course, he was closely supervised. Right.

Let me tell you about the child and his own devices.

One cup of milk, left on the couch to leak. Not on one cushion. Not on two. No, on THREE cushions. He's very talented. So I had to take time out of my work day to dab at sofa cushions with water and vinegar solution. Does anyone know how long the lovely aroma of vinegar will linger?

Two ink pens. I don't know how long he had them or where he found them, but when he showed up offering them to me proudly, his little knees were covered with blue lines. I haven't found any scribbles on the walls or the sofa cushions. At least, not yet.

But at least my patience is paying off. A few weeks ago, I rearranged the kitchen to make a cabinet for Tyler's food. In this cabinet is a variety of mostly healthy foods — some he likes and some I would like him to try.

I have child-locks on the doors because I don't want him to get in there without supervision. But when he pulls on the doors, I usually open them to let him in the cabinet. I count to 10 silently or inhale deeply as he pulls all the foods out. I've even stood back and let him dump a half a box of cereal in the floor, hoping he would be inspired to taste it.

He hasn't been inspired. Until today. Today, he pulled out a box of his daddy's Oatmeal Crisp. I opened the bag and pulled out a few pieces. Tyler inspected it and popped it in his mouth. And he reached for more. He had several bites! I kept telling him the name of the cereal so he'll be more likely to recognize it tomorrow or the next day.

After he was done, I dutifully stacked up the boxes of cereal, crackers and dried veggies that had landed in the floor. And I returned to my Hershey bar. Tyler was also interested in that, so I handed him a small piece and said, "chocolate." He studied it very seriously. I was afraid it would melt and I would have to wash the still-damp sofa cushions again! But he popped it in his mouth.

He's a big fan of Hersheys. He quickly ran back to the Hershey bar. After I wrestled it away from him, I offered him another small piece.

And I quickly ate the rest. It was nap time, he didn't need any more chocolate! But I did, after such a busy day!

No comments: