www.flickr.com
Tyler Lackey's blog pics photoset Click here to see Tyler's flickr photos

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Three New Foods in One Day!

Yesterday was huge for us. Tyler tried three new foods in one day.

I posted about the Food Chaining book a few days ago. At first I focused on the basics:
  • I stopped asking Tyler to eat foods. I just put it in front of him and let him eat if he wants.
  • When the meal is over, I clean off the table. No more leaving cereal sitting on the table in case he gets hungry.
  • I've been working hard at sticking to a schedule for meals. This is soooooo hard for me.
Well, yesterday, I decided it was time to start introducing new foods. You're supposed to start slow, but I got carried away.

In the morning, I put a few soy nuts on the table with his peas and corn. I made sure that he saw them come out of the same type of packaging as all of his dried fruits and veggies. He popped one into his mouth with little hesitation and chewed it up. He then spit it out. But that is okay. He spit out peanut butter crackers a dozen times before he decided he liked them.

At the next meal, I got out the dried blackberries. He loved them even more than he loves blueberries! (I tried one and I think the texture is just weird, but whatever works!)

And later in the day, I decided to try Froot Loops. Keep in mind that this child wouldn't eat the darker Cheerios from the multi-grain Cheerios a few months ago. He picked out the ones that looked like the original Cheerios. And he still won't eat the broken Cheerios.

Anyway, I've resisted giving him these sugary cereals in the past because I worried that he would stop eating the healthy ones. But the Food Chaining book really stresses that you need to try foods that your child will like -- things that are similar to what he already eats and that will taste good to him. You should set the child up for success so you can praise him for trying foods and so that he learns trying foods is fun.

He didn't try the Froot Loops until I walked away from the table. He licked one, and the sugar hooked him! He didn't like the powdery residue on his fingers, but it wasn't enough to make him stop eating them. He also likes naming the colors. I wish I could spell his pronunciation for "yellow"!

This morning, Tyler found the little box of Apple Jacks cereal and opened it so I offered him a few, and he liked them too!

Now, these foods are the same texture as the foods he's been eating. In the past, I was so focused on introducing the new textures that this wouldn't seem like a big deal. But now, I'm just focused on the fact that Tyler tried four new foods with little hesitation (and no prodding) and he liked three of the four foods!

No comments: