www.flickr.com
Tyler Lackey's blog pics photoset Click here to see Tyler's flickr photos

Monday, July 7, 2008

Eating Grasshoppers

What wold you say if I asked you to eat a grasshopper?

I just saw this post on the Food Chaining blog. The writer references this story: "Everything is a Grasshopper."

This is the best explanation I've seen to illustrate how Tyler can be scared of trying new foods.

(If you are a family member that babysits Tyler or if you are a person that has even thought about blaming me and Brian for Tyler's feeding problems, please read the grasshopper story. It will really help you understand Tyler and what we're going through.)

What if I put the grasshopper in front of you and told you that you have to eat it in 5 seconds? (Assume that I have some authority over you.)

What if you saw me eat a grasshopper? I dip it in chocolate or mix it in crackers or something. I obviously enjoy it and I offer you some of my prized grasshopper. You notice that it makes a crunchy sound like your favorite chips. You may touch it or even smell it. Eventually, you might be curious enough to taste it? Maybe? (Me neither.)

Anyway, if I made you eat the grasshopper, how would you feel the next time I called you to say dinner is ready?

I admit that I have had a few instances where I pushed Tyler, even tricked him to get something in his mouth. And he always regressed. He's what the grasshopper-lady calls a "cautious eater." He has to be comfortable with food before he tries it. And he has to be comfortable with meal time and the table setting. And he has to trust those of us that are feeding him.

It kind of breaks my heart to realize how difficult eating is for him.

But he ate a pop tart this morning. You should've seen him trying to say "pop tart." I told him that it had blueberry jelly in it. And he pointed at the middle and told me all about the bbbbbbb jelly.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is the best explination I can think of to describe what it has been like. Perfect!

Anonymous said...

Wow. How awful for him...and you guys too. :(

Marla said...

Thank you for this post and for mentioning the Food Chaining Blog. I actually frequent that blog, it is very helpful.

M still struggles with eating and we struggle with being patient. This post is an important reminder for me.

Mama of 2 said...

Hi! I'm Stephanie, a parent from the food chaining blogspot. Just wanted to say that I completely understand :) It always helps to know you're not the only one...