www.flickr.com
Tyler Lackey's blog pics photoset Click here to see Tyler's flickr photos

Friday, February 29, 2008

Strategy

While Tyler was napping, I fixed four chicken nuggets.

He was in a great mood when he got up, and he was running around the living room having a grand time.

I nonchalantly walked into the kitchen and picked up one of the nuggets. I sat on the step between the kitchen and the living room and started eating it, without saying anything to him. He ran up to me and reached for it. I pushed him back a little and ate two bites. Only then did I offer him a little piece. He shoved it in his mouth, chewed for a second and demanded more! Together we ate two, and I'm sure he ate at least as much as I did!

This sounds easy, doesn't it? So what are these feeding problems I'm complaining about?

Keep in mind we've been playing with chicken nuggets for two weeks. Tyler has kissed them, and they've kissed him. He's never seemed to dislike the feel of them but he's never put even the smallest bit in his mouth.

But I have a new strategy:
  1. When introducing a food for the first few times, Tyler will be in his highchair. (Otherwise, he just runs off.)
  2. We will try to do a short "therapy" with a familiar food right after nap every day. In the past, I've always tried to plan therapy between meals. The timing is tough. If he's actually hungry (first thing in the morning), he just cries and gets frustrated. If it is too soon after he's eaten, then he just throws the therapy food because he isn't hungry. But if we do therapy at mealtime when he is reasonably hungry, then it reinforces the frustration and negative feelings he associates with feeding.
  3. During this short therapy, I will sit in the floor to eat the food, and I will not push him to take it. (We seem to have more success when he believes it is his idea to eat a food. Just like a man.)
Seems simple, doesn't it? Wish me luck!

By the way, Tyler ate half a piece of garlic toast last night! (Again, he crawled up in my lap and reached for it. He thinks it was all his idea.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This strategy of letting them think it was their idea will come in handy for many other things too! :)