www.flickr.com
Tyler Lackey's blog pics photoset Click here to see Tyler's flickr photos

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Adults Are So Confusing!

I think we're teaching Tyler too much all at once.

Example #1
At lunch, when I put my hand out and said, "Can Mama have some?," I wanted him to put a piece of carrot in my hand. He slapped my hand to "give me five."

Same thing when he fell down earlier and I reached out a hand to help him back up.

Example #2
I've been trying to teach him to shake his head "no." If I shake my head slowly and dramatically back and forth, he'll rock his head from side to side. (He moves the top of his head over and down each way rather than shaking his head side to side.) This is also the way he dances to a song played by his toy school bus....

So when I caught him playing with the trash can earlier, I said, "No, don't touch." He backed up and he either shook his head "no" ... or he danced at me.

Example #3
I've also been trying to teach Tyler the signs for "water" and "milk." The sign we do for "water" is to hold three fingers in a W shape just below your chin. He doesn't even attempt this one. I'm not sure if he knows he has a chin yet. The sign for "milk" is to make a motion with your hand like you're milking a cow. When I make this sign, Tyler gets a big grin on his face, stares intently at my hand, and waves bye-bye at me.

No comments: